Jerseyville City Hall is located at 115 East Prairie Street, Jerseyville, IL 62052; phone: 618-498-3312.
James Faulkner, a native of Pennsylvania, was the first actual settler. He lived, in 1827, in a log cabin. This cabin was built by one Ballard, a squatter, who lived there for some time previous to 1827. Faulkner purchased his cabin. Lindsay H. English, a native of Kentucky, came in 1828. John Anderson, of Tennessee, came in 1833 as did N. L. Adams of Vermont.
The town of Jerseyville was incorporated in July, 1837. The first trustees were J. W. Lott, G. H. Collins, Samuel L. McGill, Richard Graham and E. M. Daley. In 1839 it was made the county seat. This was done against strong opposition from interested parties. In 1840, the Courthouse was erected at a cost of $6,000, raised mostly by subscription. It was built on a block of land donated to the town for a Public Square by Lott & Daley.