Prestonburg City Hall is located at 200 North Lake Drive, Prestonburg, KY 41653; phone: 606-886-2335.
The town of Preston Station was platted in 1797 by John Spurlock. When Floyd County was created in 1799, the town was designated the county seat. A post office, known as Floyd Courthouse, was established in 1816. The town and the post office names were changed to Prestonburg sometime in the late 1820s. Prestonburg was incorporated in 1867. It is named for the wife of Colonel John Preston whose wife's family at one timed owned a land grant of approximately 100,000 acres.