Rogers City city hall is located at 193 East Michigan Avenue, Rogers City, MI 49779; phone: 989-734-2101.
The first inhabitants of this area were the Native Americans; the earliest European settlers were French explorers, missionaries and fur traders who came in the 1600s. In 1836, the land was officially ceded to the United States, and Presque Isle County was surveyed in 1840. Rogers City was legally incorporated in 1877, and the area grew around the lumbering boom of the late 1800s and early 1900s. As the lumber boom waned, the limestone industry grew, and Rogers City with it. In the early 1900s, Crawford's Quarry was established to mine a deposit of high chemical-grade stone which was used extensively in the steel-making process. The quarry was later sold to United States Steel and renamed Calcite. The quarry has changed hands since, currently owned by Carmeuse Lime and Stone-Calcite Operations (Calcite) and remains in active production. Calcite is the largest open pit limestone quarry in the world. The quarry is served by the Port of Calcite, a deep-water port serving stone shipping fleets and providing maritime employment for large numbers of residents, securing the City's place in maritime history. Recently the Port Calcite Collaborative has formed to expand use of the deep water port for shipping industrial and commercial items around the Great Lakes and beyond.