Williamston Town Hall is located at 106 East Main Street, Williamston, NC 27892; phone: 252-792-5142.
Williamston as Described in 1939 
Williamston, seat of Martin County, lies on the western bank of the Roanoke River. First called Skewarky, the town was later named in honor of Colonel William Williams of the Martin County militia. A port of entry before the Revolutionary War, the town had an old courthouse built in 1774 on stilts over the river. To enter the courthouse people climbed ladders from their boats. When court was declared in session the ladders were removed and no one was permitted to leave. Chief amusements during court week were oyster roasts and fist fights.
Williamston, a tobacco-marketing town, has also a peanut factory, fertilizer plants, lumber mills, and commercial fisheries.
The Asa Biggs House on Church Street is a square structure distinguished by a railed balcony under each second-story window. Judge Biggs (1811-1878) was prominent in the State's political life and held, among his many offices, Federal and Confederate district judgeships.