Plattsburgh City Hall is located at 41 City Hall Place, Plattsburgh NY 12901; phone: 518-563-7702.
The first permanent settlement at Plattsburgh was established after the American Revolution. In 1785, a group of investors and speculators from Poughkeepsie, New York, under the direction of Zephaniah and Nathaniel Platt and Simon Reeves, developed a series of grist and saw mills along the Saranac River.
By 1791, twelve building lots were laid out in the village, but they were not all sold until 1797. Though the village was relatively small, it soon became the most important settlement in northern New York. By 1811, the village had grown to contain 78 dwellings, 4 hotels, 13 stores, 1 shops and offices, a tannery, 2 saw mills, a grist mill, and a fulling mill. During the nineteenth century, carding mills and marbel sawing mills were established along the Saranac, and cloth dressing, comb and cotton manufacturing were begun nearby. By 1850 corresponding residential development extended to Broad, Brinkerhoff, Bridge and Oak Streets, and to "The Point" area across the Saranac. Plattsburgh prospered as a lumber milling and lake shipping hub and became a government center as the seat of Clinton County. The city's physical growth and economic expansion reached a peak during the second quarter of the twentieth century. Subsequent development has extended the city's boundaries to the west and north since the 1940's.