Herkimer Village Hall is located at 120 Green Street, Herkimer NY 13350; phone: 315-866-3303.
Located along the Mohawk River, Herkimer village was incorporated April 6, 1807. In 1860 it contained the county buildings, 3 churches, a bank, a newspaper office, a paper mill and a grist mill and 1,371 inhabitants.
Originally known as "Stone Ridge," Herkimer was settled in the 1720s by Palatine Germans. Herkimer is named for Revolutionary War hero, General Nicholas Herkimer. After the opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, and a corresponding increase in grain production, Herkimer became a dairy farming center, and the commercial and industrial hub of a large agricultural region.