Troy City Hall is located at 1 Monument Square, Troy, New York 12180; phone: 518-270-4993 or 518-270-4496.
The City of Troy, New York with a population of 56,000 is situated in the upper Hudson Valley just below the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers and approximately 7 miles north of Albany. The city is sited on the east bank of the river with its densely built up areas now occupying approximately eight square miles of level and hilly terrain beginning at 50-100 feet east of the river bank. The existing street pattern of the city was firmly established in the late eighteenth century and follows a typical and fairly regular north-south and east-west grid pattern. The principal street of the city on its western boundary is River Street, which closely follows the patch of the Hudson River and is, therefore, also curved in its configuration. Because of its river access, River Street was Troy's major commercial thoroughfare from its beginnings in 1791 to the early part of the twentieth century. The point at which River Street is met by other major downtown thoroughfares, namely Broadway and Second Street, constitutes an important juncture originally known as Washington Square and renamed Monument Square in 1890-91 with the erection of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. In the center of the city, development is relatively dense with buildings rarely exceeding four stories in height in the commercial district and three in the residential neighborhoods. A handful of church towers and steeples punctuate the low-rise profile of the city in scattered locations. Brick is the predominant building material in much of the city and especially in the central Troy historic district. Although important buildings and neighborhoods exist from earlier and later periods of significance, the overall character of the city reflects its prosperity as a manufacturing and trade center, especially during the second half of the nineteenth century.