Youngstown City Hall is located at 26 Phelps Street South, Youngstown, OH 44503; phone:
Youngstown, the county seat of Mahoning County is situated in the southeastern part of the Western Reserve, nearly in a direct line between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, about 70 miles from each city. It is intersected in a direction for the northwest to the southeast by the Mahoning River, a branch of the Beaver River which flows into the Ohio River. It derives its name from John Young, who purchased the township from the Connecticut Land Company in 1796. That company purchased the Reserve from the State of Connecticut, surveyed it into townships five miles square, and after the survey made sale of a few of the townships, or parts thereof, to individuals, prior to the partition by draft among the members of the company. One of the townships thus sold was designated in the plat of the survey as number two in the second range. Its east line is 5 miles west of the Ohio River and Pennsylvania State line, and its south line was 5 miles north of the southern boundary of the Reserve. The precise date of the purchase is unknown.
The survey of the Reserve into townships began in 1796. The fulfillment of the terms of sale of Youngstown by the land company is shown in a deed dated April 9, 1800, conveyed to John Young, called Youngstown, containing 15,560 acres of land for the consideration of $16,086.16.
Tradition informs us that the settlement of the township commenced immediately after the visit of John Young with his surveyor and assistants, and the survey of the township into lots in 1796 or 1797. The site of Youngstown was once an Indian camping ground or town.
The original extents of Youngstown included territory later organized as Poland, Coitsville, Boardman, Canfield, Austintown, Jackson and Ellsworth (in Mahoning County) and Liberty (in Trumbull County).