Amarillo City Hall is located at 509 Seventh Avenue Southeast, Amarillo, TX 79101; phone: 806-378-3000.
Photo: Landergin-Harrington House, ca. 1915, 1600 Polk Street, Amarillo, TX. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1977. Photographed by user:BriceWi999 (own work), 2014, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2015.
Amarillo is located partly in Potter County and partly in Randall County.
The town that would become Amarillo was settled under the name Oneida. It was renamed for the yellow wildflowers that covered the creek and lake from spring through summer. The town was established in 1888 by Henry Sanborn. By the late 1890s it had become a busy cattle trading and shipping point.
- Works Projects Administration, Federal Works Agency, Federal Writers' Program, Texas: A Guide to the Lone Star State, American Guide Series, Texas State Highway Commission, 1940.
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2018 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com
• 45859 • Privacy