Hyde Park Village
Hyde Park Village Hall is located at 344 Vermont Road 15, Hyde Park, VT 05655; phone: 802-888-2300.
The first streets through the present Village of Hyde Park were not constructed until after 1800, nearly two decades after settlers first arrived in the southwest corner of town. In fact, Hyde Park's first store and post office were established in a residence on the former Craftsbury Road, approximately one mile northeast of the village.
Hyde Park grew rapidly through the 1830s, becoming the shire of Lamoille County upon the county's incorporation in 1835-36. As part of this process, administrative functions and the county courthouses were established in the village, where they remain to this day. While Hyde Park Village was not officially incorporated as a municipality until 1895, the town center was a bustling hub of commerce from the early-1800s onward; in 1887, twelve trains stopped in Hyde Park station daily. At various times during the 19th and early-20th centuries, Hyde Park Village was also home to a bank, hotel, drug store, newspaper publisher, black-smith, barbershop, butcher and market. The fate of the village was substantially altered by the construction of a bypass in 1956, which re-routed what is presently Route 15 and 100 around Main Street. As a result, Hyde Park presently enjoys the benefit of safe and pedestrian friendly town center, conveniently accessible to the region's major highways.