Point Pleasant City
Point Pleasant City Hall is located at 400 Viand Street, Point Pleasant, WV 25550; phone: 304 430-3426.
Point Pleasant is the principal community and county seat of Mason County. The city is located at the confluence of the Great Kanawha and Ohio Rivers on a broad flood plain that is referred to as "bottom land" in local histories. As settlement of "the point" commenced during the latter half of the 18th century, streets of the community extended across the level tracts northward and parallel to the Ohio River.
In 1794, 200 acres of land belonging to Thomas Lewis at the mouth of the Kanawha River were laid off into lots, streets and alleys. By an act of the Virginia Assembly dated December 19, 1794, the town of Point Pleasant was established. It was not incorporated, however, until 1833. In 1890 the population of Point Pleasant was 1,853 and grew as follows: 1,934 (1900), 2,045 (1910), 2,500 (1914), 6,800 (1985).