Sonoma County government offices are located at 575 Administration Drive, Santa Rosa, CA 95403; phone: 707‑565‑2961.
Sonoma County was established in 1850. Sonoma is a Chocuyen Indian word that is variously translated to mean "land or tribe of the Chief Nose," or, "Valley of the Moon."
The home (image) was built for John D. Ellis, a farmer, who lived there for ten years. It is most closely associated, however, with Leopold Martin, son of a long-time West Marin ranching family, who retired there in 1920. He and/or his descendants owned and lived on the property from 1920 until 1998. Descendants sold the property in 2005.