Carrollton City Hall is located at 315 Bradley Street, Carrollton, GA 30117.
Carrollton was incorporated about 1829 and named for Charles Carroll of Maryland. When Carroll County was created in 1826, Carroll was the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence.
The early years of Carrollton saw it grow little beyond that of a frontier village comprised of "taverns, trading posts, horse races and horse thieves." [‡]
One of the area's oldest enterprises, Johnson's Drug Company, opened in 1854 and remained in business until 1972. Population in the 1850s was 250, and small as it was, Carrollton remained the only incorporated city in the county.
The railroad came to Carrollton in 1874 and spurred its growth into an important cotton-shipping point. The late 19th century saw the establishment of various textile mills. Mandeville Mills operated from 1890 until 1953.
‡ Carrollton Georgia History, carrollton-today.com, accessed March, 2012.