The Franklin County Courthouse is located at 313 West Main Street, Frankfort, KY 40601; phone: 502-875-8751.
Franklin County was formed by the Legislature of Kentucky in 1794 out of parts of Woodford, Mercer and Shelby counties. It was named in honor of the distinguished patriot and statesman, Benjamin Franklin.
The Kentucky River runs through the county from south to north, dividing it into nearly equal parts. The earliest white settlement effected in what is now Franklin County was made by Hancock Lee in 1775, on the east bank of the Kentucky River, one mile below Frankfort, although Robert McAfee and party surveyed and entered 600 acres of land in the summer of 1773.
Surveys were made in and around Frankfort for William Haydon in 1783, George Mason and Edmond Lyne in 1784, Humphrey Marshall in 1785, and George Campbell in 1789.