Shreveport City Hall is located at 505 Travis Street, Shreveport LA 71130.
Shreve Town Company was formed on May 27, 1836 as a real estate brokerage firm. The owners of this company would be the founding fathers of Shreveport. The City of Shreveport became an incorporated township in 1839. Shreveport is named for Captain Henry Miller Shreve to honor his contribution to the settlement of the region. Shreveport was named the seat of Parish government on October 6, 1840. During the Civil War, Shreveport would serve as the Capitol of Louisiana when Baton Rouge fell to Union forces. The last surrender of Confederate forces occurred here on June 6, 1865. Following the economic depression of the Civil War era, Caddo Parish found renewed prosperity with the Oil Boom of the early 1900's. Oil derricks dotting the countryside of North Caddo Parish serve as a reminder of the thriving oil well drilling industry that gave rise to communities such as Oil City and the Caddo Lake region of Louisiana. This "black gold" prosperity lasted from around 1904 to 1914.