Rapides Parish administrative offices are located at 701 Murray Street, Alexandria, LA 71301; phone: 318-473-8153.
An early settler, Alexander Fulton, laid out the future city of Alexandria (Rapides Parish Seat) in 1805 having received a Spanish land grant in the 1790s. The parish itself was originally organized in 1807, prior to Louisiana becoming a State, under authority of the U.S. Territory of Orleans, which was part of the Louisiana Purchase. The Parish is named for the Rapids along the Red River. [en.wikipedia.org, accessed December, 2015].