Caroline County Courthouse is located at 109 Markey Street, Denton MD 21629; phone: 410‑479‑0660.
Caroline County As Described in 1904 
Caroline is one of the smaller Maryland counties, and is the most inland of those on the Eastern Shore. Wicomico alone excepted, it is the only one in that section not having an extensive bayside border. The Delaware line bounds it on the east, Dorset on the south, Great Choptank and Tuckahoe Rivers on the west, and Queen Anne's on the north. The area of the county is 320 square miles, and it was named in honor of Lady Eden, and its county seat was first called Eden-Town, after Governor Eden. It was erected in 1773. The soil is of sand and clay, adapted to a variety of crops, from wheat to berries. Fruit-growing is a prominent industry, and canneries are operated in every section of the county. A local industry is charcoal-burning. The Queen Anne's railroad has done much to develop the central section of the county and to quicken village growth. The Delaware and Chesapeake railway runs through the northwestern part, and the Cambridge and Seaford line through the extreme southeast. On the Choptank River, steamboats ply daily to Denton. The population of Denton is 1050. Ridgely (population 713) and Greensborough are important fruit-shipping stations, and the next largest towns. Federalsburg (population 539), on the Northwest Fork of the Nanticoke, has several local industries, and Preston, on the Baltimore, Chesapeake and Atlantic railway, which curves through southwestern Caroline; Hillsborough, Burrsville, Choptank, are progressive towns. Hillsborough Academy was noted among the classical public schools of the post-Revolutionary period. One of the first acts of the people of this county was the promulgation of the "Caroline Resolutions of 1774," pledging resistance to the arbitrary measures of Parliament. The county was distinguished in the Revolution. At Ridgely is an extensive basket and berry-cup manufactory.