Warning: include(/Library/kw/livingplaces.com/menu.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Library/WebServer/livingplaces.com/MD/Howard_County/Columbia.html on line 34
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/Library/kw/livingplaces.com/menu.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /Library/WebServer/livingplaces.com/MD/Howard_County/Columbia.html on line 34
Columbia is a census‑designated place (CDP) which lies west of Intersate 95, approximately midway between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.. Columbia mail is covered by 3 separate zip codes: 21044, 21045 and 21046.
In the 1960s, Jim Rouse envisioned the planned community of Columbia , Maryland as new kind of American city, that was rationally planned to avoid the problems associated with larger cities and sprawling suburbs. To carry out this vision, Columbia was designed as a series of 10 interconnected villages with supporting employment, civic, and service uses. These villages surrounded a larger town center. Major entertainment facilities and retail centers were pre-phased in the Town Center to spur growth in the new community. The strategy was successful; however, after four decades of growth in the surrounding villages, Downtown Columbia had not significantly developed. Beginning about 2005, various stakeholders joined to begin creating a master plan for the future development of Downtown Columbia.
The Villages  and their constituent neighborhoods are:
- Dorsey's Search — (ca. 1980) Dorsey Hall, Fairway Hills
- Harper's Choice — Longfellow, Swansfield, Hobbit's Glen
- Hickory Ridge — (ca. 1974) Clemens Crossing, Hawthorn, Clary's Forest
- Kings Contrivance — (ca. 1977) Dickinson, Huntington, Macgill's Common
- Long Reach — (ca. 1971) Phelps Luck, Jeffers Hill, Locust Park, Kendall Ridge
- Oakland Mills — (ca. 1969) Thunder Hill, Talbott Springs, Stevens Forest
- Owen Brown — (ca. 1972) Dasher Green, Elkhorn, Hopewell
- River Hill — (ca. 1990) Pheasant Ridge, Pointers Run
- Town Center — (ca. 1974) Vantage Point, Banneker, Amesbury, Creighton's Run, and Warfield Triangle
- Wilde Lake — (ca. 1967) Bryant Woods, Faulkner Ridge, Running Brook, The Birches
- International Downtown Association, The Evolution of Columbia, Maryland: A New Downtown for America's Best Known Master Planned Community, 2012, www.ida-downtown.org, accessed July, 2016.
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia,_Maryland, accessed July, 2016
Nearby Towns: Clarksville •
Ellicott City •
Warning: include(/Library/kw/livingplaces.com/footer.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Library/WebServer/livingplaces.com/MD/Howard_County/Columbia.html on line 231
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/Library/kw/livingplaces.com/footer.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:') in /Library/WebServer/livingplaces.com/MD/Howard_County/Columbia.html on line 231