Photo: Joseph L. DeYarmon House, circa 1878, Southwestern corner of County Road 179 and Township Road, Washington Township. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Photographed by User:Chris Light (own work), 2010, [cc 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed July, 2023.
The Holmes County Courthouse is located at 1 East Jackson Street, Millersburg, OH 44654; phone: 330-674-1876.
The county is believed to have the highest concentration of Amish population in the U.S. Amish comprise approximately half of the county population.
Established in 1824, Holmes County was predominantly agricultural throughout the 19th century. The 1880 census revealed over 95% of its 267,000 acres as part of active farms. Railroads in the county developed rather late and industry never really developed in the 19th century. Around the turn of the century a large oil boom interrupted the county's agricultural orientation.