Steubenville City Hall is located at 304 Market Street, Steubenville OH 43953.
Steubenville is the county-seat of Jefferson county, Ohio. Fort Steuben was erected here in 1789, on the spot now occupied by the Female Seminary. It was guarded by a company of troops commanded by Colonel Beattie. At the period of Wayne's victory it was deserted.
Through a great portion of this region, there are inexhaustible beds of stone-coal. Steubenville is beautifully situated on an elevated plane, and contains a population of about eight thousand, eleven churches, five public, and four select schools, one male academy, and a splendid female seminary, with about one hundred and fifty pupils, employing ten or twelve teachers. The building cost forty thousand dollars. There are about thirty stores, two printing-offices, and one daily paper. In the town and vicinity, there are three large flouring mills, a paper mill — owned by Thompson Hanna — one of the largest and best in the western country, five woolen factories — one of them manufacturing into cloth sixty-thousand pounds of wool annually — two cotton, and two glass manufactories, three air foundries, a steam saw mill, two breweries, and several manufactories of copperas in the vicinity — making about one hundred and fifty-nine tons per annum. The town is in a highly prosperous condition. About one thousand persons are employed in its various factories. In the neighboring country, much attention is paid to the rearing of Merino and other superior breeds of sheep.