Photo: Mountain House, ca. 1852, Highland Avenue, Chillicothe, OH. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2010, [cc-by-2.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed May, 2014.
The Ross County Courthouse is located at 2 North Paint Street, Chillicothe, OH 45601; phone: 740-702-3085.
When formed in 1798, the county was much larger, covering much of what is now the State of Ohio. It was named for James Ross of Pennsylvania who was, at the time of county formation, a friend of the Northwest Territorial Governor, Arthur St. Clair. [www.co.ross.oh.us, accessed May, 2014]