Seneca County, Ohio

Home | Whats New | Site Index | Contact | Search

Seneca County administrative offices are located at 111 Madison Street, Tiffin, OH 44883. Phone: 419-447-4550.


William Gibson House (Springdale)

Photo: William Gibson House (Springdale), circa 1853, located at 318 Sycamore Street, Tiffin. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. Photographed by User:wikipedia - Christopher L. Riley (own work), 2022, [cc 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed December, 2023.


TOWNS

In 1824, with the establishment of Seneca County [†] by the Ohio Legislature, Tiffin became a county seat. The county took its name from the Seneca Indians, who originally were native to this territory.

Oakley and Tiffin, split by the Sandusky River, were great rivals. But, in 1850, seeing that later their interests lay together, the two villages merged to form greater Tiffin, with Fort Ball becoming a part of Tiffin in March of that year.

Seneca County was known principally for its agricultural products, and consistently rated in the upper 12% of the 88 counties in Ohio in gross farm income until the year 1888 when oil was discovered in the area. Oil attracted industry and by 1900 numerous manufacturing concerns had moved to Tiffin and Seneca County. Industrial growth has continued to the present day, adding greatly to the economic progress of Seneca County.

Our Community, www.destinationsenecacounty.org, accessed December, 2023.

HISTORIC SITES


Home | Whats New | Site Index | Contact
Privacy | Disclaimer

Copyright © 1997-2024, The Gombach Group