Photo: Colonel John Ashe House, ca, 1782, 32 South Battery Street, Charleston, SC. Photographed by Jack E. Boucher, 1992, Historic American Buildings Survey [HABS SC-321], memory.loc.gov, accessed December, 2013.
The Charleston County Courthouse is located at 2 Courthouse Square, Charleston SC 29401; phone: 843-958-4030.
During the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, South Carolina had no less than six major re-organizations of counties and "districts." Charles Town district was first created in 1768, but it wasn't until 1897 that "Charleston County" arrived at its present-day boundaries.