Montgomery County administrative offices are located at 210 West Davis Street, Conroe, TX 77301; phone: 936-539-7831.
A French explorer, Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle, probably passed through this area in 1687. In the 18th century, Spanish missions had been set up, but they were abandoned in 1756. Andrew Montgomery was among the earliest settlers. He established a trading post and was soon joined by relatives and others. The settlement eventually grew to become the Town of Montgomery. The county was established in 1837 from Washington County. [Texas State Historical Association, Montgomery County, www.tshaonline.org, accessed July, 2013.]