Prince George is a census‑designated place and serves as the seat of Prince George County.
Prince George as described in 1940 
Prince George, seat of Prince George County, has few houses and stores; they are supported by court days and court business. Compactly set within the courthouse square are the county buildings, facing an obelisk of rough hewn stone, the monument to the Confederate dead.
The Courthouse, a two-story red brick building with gabled roof and arcaded porch, is flanked by two single-story buildings, one separate and the other connected by a continuation of the arcade. Prince George County was created from Charles City County in 1702 and named in honor of Queen Anne's consort, Prince George of Denmark. Court sessions were held successively at City Point, Jordan's Point, Merchant's Hope, and Fitzgeralds until 1810 when the seat of government was moved here.