The Butler County Courthouse is located at 600 East Commerce Street, Greenville, AL 36037; phone: 334‑382‑3521.
Butler was formed from Conecuh and Monroe counties in 1819. The county was named for Captain William Butler, a Virginia native who fought during the Creek War, 1813-1814. The first settler in what would become Butler County was probably James Benson, who built a house here in 1815. He was followed by William Ogly, John Dickerson, Thomas Hill, Warren A. Thompson, Captain John Watts and Benjamin Hill, among others.