The Crawford County Courthouse is located at 300 Main Street, Van Buren, AR 72956; phone: 479‑474‑1312.
Crawford County [†] was created by an act of the Territorial Legislature on October 24,1820, only two years after David Boyd, the first white settler, arrived in Van Buren. The new county, which was named for William H, Crawford, Secretary of the Treasury under James Monroe, encompassed most of the land now occupied by Yell, Logan, Johnson, Franklin, ScotS and Sebastian counties. The first county seat was temporarily located at the house of John Jay on the south side of the Arkansas River near the site of Crawford Old Court House. The county seat was eventually moved several times, ending up in Van Buren in 1838.
† Ralph S. Wilcox, National Register & Survey Coordinator, Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, Bryant-Lasarer House, nomination document, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C.