Roxbury Town Hall is located at 29 North Street, Roxbury, CT 06783.
Roxbury was settled about 1713 as part of Woodbury. A parish was organized in 1743, and a town incorporated in 1796. The name, which is found also in Massachusetts, probably comes from the shire of Roxburgh in Scotland. The town is mountainous, with the gorge of the Shepaug River to the west.
A silver mine was opened here in the early days. Ethan Allen had an interest in it at one time, and Jabez Bacon of Southbury bought up various titles which were subject to endless litigation. Later the mine was found to contain spathic iron, specially adapted to steel making, and a small smelting furnace was built. Commercial mining ceased in 1871. Mine Hill also has granite quarries and many churches and other buildings in surrounding towns have been built of this stone. The lectern of Christ Church, west of the Roxbury Center Green, has a lectern and pulpit of Mine Hill stone.
Nearby Towns: Bethlehem Town • Bridgewater Town • Brookfield Town • Southbury Town • Woodbury Town •