Photo: Neilson House, ca. 1890, State Route 325, Windsor, FL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Photographed by User:Ebyabe (own work), 2007, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed October, 2012.
The Alachua County Courthouse is located at 201 East University Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32601; phone: 352‑374‑3636.
Known as Potano Province during the days of De Soto's explorations, the name was changed to Alachua (Creek Indian word meaning jug) when the English took possession in the 1760s. The county was created in 1824 with the county seat at Newnansville, and moved to the newly‑created Gainesville in 1853.