Photo: Erwin House, ca. 1840, Fort Road, Greenwood, FL. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Photographed by User:Ebyabe (own work), 2008, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed June, 2014.
Jackson County administrative offices are located at 2864 Madison Street, Marianna, FL 32448; phone: 850‑482‑9633.
Settlers began arriving in Jackson County in the Jackson County area almost immediately after the United States acquired Florida from Spain in 1821. The county had fewer than 200 residents when the Territorial Legislature created it in 1822. That number had risen to more than 2,500 by 1825. Pioneers were attracted to the area by the fertile soil, which was ideal for the growing of cotton and tobacco. The county government had no permanent home until local voters selected Marianna as the county seat in 1829.