Volusia County administrative offices are located at 123 West Indiana Avenue, De Land FL 32720; phone: 386‑736‑5920.
The area that would one day become Volusia County was first colonized in 1768 by more than 1,000 British subjects led by Dr. Andrew Turnbull. That settled evolved into the present‑day New Smyrna Beach community. Despite its ambitious start, the colony was abandoned after 9 years. [Archaeology of the New Smyrna Colony, www.volusiahistory.com, accessed June, 2013]