The Henry County Courthouse is located at 100 East Washington Street, Mount Pleasant, IA 52641; phone: 319-385-0790.
Henry County was established in 1836. It is believed to have been named for one of two men: Henry Dodge, governor of the Wisconsin Territory or James Dougherty Henry who served as a general in the Black Hawk War.
This area was part of the Black Hawk Purchase and was opened for settlement on June 2, 1833. Although a number of communities were platted in the years immediately following the formal establishment of the county in 1836, others were founded later, in the 1850s, 1860s, and 1870s.