Homewood Village Hall is located at 2020 Chestnut road, Homewood IL 60430.
Homewood, in the extreme southern corner of Thornton township, on the Illinois Central railroad, with fine agricultural environments, was platted in 1852 by James Hart and was originally named Hartford. Settlement began there in the early 1840s. German immigration set in 1840-1850 and in time the settlement became characteristically German. A post office was established in 1852. George Churchill was postmaster. H. Brinkerman opened a hotel in 1851. Thomas Hastings, the primitive merchant, kept a general store in a building erected by C. D. Robinson. Conrad Zimmer opened a store in 1855. A company organized on subscribed capital, with George W. Morris as president, built a flouring mill in 1856. Eventually it passed to other ownership.
In 1856 George Morris laid out 40 acres of land adjoining Hartford, south, in village lots, under the name of Thornton Station. It promised well but the panic of 1857 finished it. In 1869 a post office was established and the name was changed from Thornton Station to Homewood. The village was officially incorporated in 1893. Steam powered suburban train service terminated in Homewood by the early 1890s. By the early 1900s there were as many as 10 trains daily making the round trip from Chicago to bring golfers to play at nearby country clubs. Some of the more affluent golfers built summer homes next to the Ravisloe Country Club.
Nearby Towns: Flossmoor Vlg • Hazel Crest Vlg •