Photo: John Hamilton House, ca. 1853, 132 West Washington Street, Shelbyville, IN. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2011, [cc0-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed November, 2013.
Shelbyville City Hall is located at 44 West Washington Street, Shelbyville, IN 46176.
Shelbyville as described in 1941 
Shelbyville, seat of Shelby County, lies in the midst of Indiana's richest corn belt. The county has for many years produced some of the Nation's finest seed corn. The town was platted in 1822 and named for the first governor of Kentucky, Isaac Shelby. It is an active and prosperous community with wide, paved and shaded streets and fine residences. Ten furniture factories provide the principal source of employment for the inhabitants.
Shelbyville was the home of Thomas A. Hendricks [1819-1895], former Vice President of the United states and governor of Indiana, and of Charles Major [1856-1913], author of When Knighthood Was in Flower, Dorothy Vernon of Haddon Hall, The Bears of Blue River, and other historical romances and books of pioneer life. Major's home, two blocks south of Blue River, was torn down after his death.
The Shelby County Courthouse, a modern steel and concrete structure faced with Indiana limestone, was begun in 1936 with the aid of a PWA grant.