Photo: Eller-Hosford House, ca. 1875, 722 Lincolnway East (Lincoln Highway), Mishakawa, IN. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2013, [cc0-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed December, 2014.
The St. Joseph County Courthouse is located at 101 South Main Street, South Bend, IN 46601; phone: 574-235-9635.
St. Joseph County was established in 1830 and is named for the St. Joseph River. Lathrop Taylor and Alexis Coquillard platted the town of South Bend in 1831. Most of the inhabitants of the town were tavern owners, merchants, or fur traders. The population of South Bend in 1831 was approximately 128 residents.