New Ulm City Hall is located at 100 North Broadway, New Ulm, MN 56073.
The city was named after the city of Neu-Ulm in the state of Bavaria in southern Germany. Ulm and Neu-Ulm are sister cities, with Ulm being situated on the Baden-Württemberg side and Neu-Ulm on the Bavarian side of the Danube river. — wikipedia.org.
[ continued ]
[ continued ]
New Ulm, the county seat of Brown County, sits at the intersection of U.S. Highway 14 and State Trunk High- way 15, approximately 28 miles west of Mankato (see Figure 2-1). This location is about 89 miles southwest of Twin Cities. The location and the supporting highway system cre- ate a larger marketplace for goods, services and jobs.
New Ulm was built at the confluence of the Minnesota and Cottonwood Rivers. The river valley provides natural amenity and development constraints.
Much of New Ulm’s land use is defined by the existing built envi- ronment. The development pattern of New Ulm dates back almost 150 years. NewUlmwasfounded1854 by the Chicago Land Association. New Ulm was officially platted in 1858.
The 1858 plat was a symmetrical grid extending twenty blocks on both sides of Center Street and five to six blocks on both sides of Broad- way. Almost every block was made up of fourteen lots (50 x 165 feet) separated by an alley. All lots faced the north-south streets with the exception of lots on Center Street, 20th North Street and 20th South Street.
This original plat is a defining characteristic of the community. Not only does it set the form and character of older neighborhoods, but the City has tried to apply these qualities to new residential develop- ment. This community design is part of New Ulm’s character and identity. The grid street layout aids movement and “wayfinding” within New Ulm.
&dagger, New Ulm Comprehensive Plan, 2007, www.newulmmn.gov, accessed April, 2021.