Photo: Patterson-Hernandez House, ca. 1899, 404 Main Avenue West, Barnesville, MN. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Photographed by User:Elizabeth A. Armour (own work), 2012, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed April, 2014.
The Clay County Courthouse is located at 807 11th Street North, Moorhead, MN 56560; phone: 218‑299‑5002.
Established in 1858 the county was named Breckenridge in honor of John C. Breckenridge, U.S. Vice President at the time. Because the county militia joined the Confederate army during the Civil War, the Minnesota Legislature rescinded the name in 1862. The county was re-christened as Clay County in honor of Henry Clay [1777-1852].