The Cleveland County Courthouse is located at 100 Justice Place, Shelby, NC 27607; phone: 919-890-1000.
Named for Revolutionary War hero Benjamin Cleveland [1738-1806], the county was formed in 1841 from parts of Lincoln and Rutherford counties.
Cleveland County covers nearly 98,000 acres. Agriculture is the predominant industry throughout the County with farming concentrated in the northern portion of the County. Agricultural uses are varied and consist of truck crops, greenhouse and nursery crops, poultry and dairy livestock. Commercial areas are located in the municipalities with the largest concentration of commercial activity in Shelby along Highway 74. The highest concentration of industry is along Interstate 85/Highway 29 corridor.