Albemarle City Hall is located at 144 North 2nd Street, Albemarle, NC 28001; phone: 704‑984‑9405.
Established in 1857, Albemarle experienced slow growth until the Yadkin Railroad came through the town in 1891 leading to the formation of prosperous industries. The opening of Efird Manufacturing Company in 1896, followed by Wiscasset Mills in 1899, fueled the development of an active downtown where sturdy and stylish brick buildings replaced fire-prone wooden commercial edifices constructed during the town's earliest building phase. One of the landmarks of downtown Albemarle was the company store opened in 1898 to serve the employees of both Efird Manufacturing and Wiscasset Mills. The early twentieth century drew more industry to the Stanly County town and prompted further development of Albemarle's commercial downtown. Buildings constructed in the first few decades of the 1900s that housed furniture stores, hardware businesses, five-and-dimes, and the offices of the local newspaper stand nearly unaltered in central Albemarle.