Queens Borough Hall is located at 120‑55 Queens Boulevard, Kew Gardens NY 11424.
Phone: phone: 718‑286‑3000.
In 1674 Governor Thomas Dongan, who was appointed by the Duke of York, convened a colonial assembly and the province of New York inhabitants were first allowed to participate in legislation. Settler representatives were seated in 1683 and passed 14 Acts, one of which was the division of New York into 12 counties. Queens County, named after Queen Catherine of England, was one of those counties.
Queens County, as organized by the Act of November 1, 1683, had an area of 396 square miles, including all of what was to become Nassau County. Its entire length from east to west was 26 miles, and its breadth from north to south about 16 miles. The county was divided into six municipal corporations, or towns, namely: Newtown, Flusing, Jamaica, North Hempstead, Hemstead, and Oyster Bay.
A bill permitting the incorporation of "Long Island City" (formerly part of Newtown Town) was passed in 1870. It consolidated into one municipality the following villages: Blissville, Hunters Point, Astoria, Ravenswood, Dutch Kills, Steinway, Middletown, and Bowery Bay. Long Island City continued as a separate municipality for 28 years until it was consolidated with New York.
With consolidation in 1894, the western part of the former Queens County was known as Queens Borough, while the eastern part was known as Nassau.