Grant County administrative offices are located at 201 South Humbolt Street, Canyon City, OR 97820; phone: 541-575-1675.
Grant was established in 1864 from parts of Wasco and Umatilla counties. In 1889 a large portion of the county was taken to form Harney County along with a small portion to form part of Wheeler County. It is recorded that within 10 days of the discovery of gold at Whiskey Flat, 1,000 miners could be found camping along Canyon Creek. [en.wikipedia,org, accessed November, 2014]