Borough municipal offices are located at 469 3rd Street, Beaver PA 15009.
Phone: 724‑773‑6700. First laid‑out in the early 1790s, Beaver was incorporated as a borough in 1802.
Photo: Matthew S. Quay House, circa 1874, licated at 205 College Avenue. Beaveer. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Photographed by User:Nyttend (own work), 2009, [public-domain] via Wikimedia Commons, accessed March, 2023.
Beaver Borough was laid out by the State Surveyor and approved and confirmed by the Assembly March 6th, 1793. The site is that upon which General McIntosh built the fort named after him in 1778. General Washington, on an exploring expedition down the Ohio, A. D., 1770, stopped at the mouth of the Beaver, and speaks of the site in his diary as a fine body of land. It is also the site of a so-called French built town as early as 1754. The lots of ground as laid out were sold on the 2nd day of July by Commissioners appointed for that purpose, viz: David Bradford, James Marshall and Andrew Swearingen. The sale began in Washington, Pa., continued from day to day and finished August 12th, 1793, having sold nearly all of the lots.
Among the first purchasers and who afterwards moved to the town, were James Allison, Robert, John and Charles Davidson, Guion Greer, Thomas Henry, David Johnston, Samuel Johnston, Joseph Lawrence and James Lyon. The town was formed into a borough March 29th, 1802, and originally extended east of the Beaver, including much of what is now Rochester and Bridgewater.
Beaver is beautifully situated on a high bench of land, giving a large view of the Ohio on both sides, above and below the town, which is rarely equalled. It is favored with very good and never failing springs of water, and it is generally conveyed through the streets in pipes. The atmosphere is pure and healthy, as the country generally is proved to be, and the population, by the census of 1870, was 1,120. It has recently made rapid increase in numbers and in the value of general improvements. There is no place on the river better suited as a place for a home, churches and schools with quiet and good order prevailing. Prior to 1829 the Presbyterian brick church, now standing, was the only one south of Darlington, and for many miles up and down the river. In this church Rev. A. B. Quay was pastor, and alternated his labors between it and the service of the Colonization Society as their agent, according as his health demanded. He was a scholar and christian minister of zeal, and rendered great service to church and the society. He died here, worn out in the service, much respected and regretted. The first Methodist church was erected about 1830. The present building is of recent construction. There are also an United Presbyterian and Roman Catholic Churches. The Beaver College and Musical Institute, well known and highly appreciated, of which Hon. Daniel Agnew is President and Dr. R. T. Taylor, Principal, is also located here. At the upper end of town is the Beaver Female Seminary, under the charge of Rev. Thomas Kennedy, and is in a prosperous and promising condition.
Nearby Towns: Alquippa City • Baden Borough • Beaver Falls City • Bridgewater Boro • Conway Boro • East Rochester Borough • Freedom Boro • Monaca Boro •