State College municipal offices are located at 243 South Allen Street, State College PA 16801.
Stage College [†] can trace its origins to the 1850's when the Pennsylvania State Agricultural Society started the "Farmer's High School" on approximately 200 acres of land near the community of Centre Furnace. The school's first address was Boalsburg, Pa. until 1860 when a post office was opened in Old Main. In 1862 the name of the school was changed to the "Agricultural College of Pennsylvania" and it continued to grow. By this time, a small hamlet grew up around the school and consisted of farms, houses and a hotel where the Hotel State College is currently located at College Avenue and Allen Street. State College continued to grow as it attracted people to work at the college or provide services and was incorporated as a borough in 1896. As it grew, surrounding farms were subdivided into lots and sold. The Borough's first zoning ordinance was passed in 1927.
† State College Downtown Master Plan, 2013, www.statecollegepa.us, accessed July, 2019.