Located where the Cussewago and French Creeks meet, Meadville (alternately known in the early days as Cussewago and Mead's Mills) is the county seat of Crawford County. It was first settled about 1788 by David Mead. It is possible Mead and his party were attracted from their native Connecticut by George Washington's widely-published journal which referenced the 'rich land already cleared' at the confluence of the two Creeks.
Meadville was incorporated as a borough in 1823 and as a City in 1866. It was designated as the county seat in 1880.