East Prospect Borough Hall is located at 28 West Maple Street, East Prospect PA 17317.
Incorporated from Lower Windsor Township, in 1874, and named for its attractive situation, the view from the center of the town being romantically interesting. James Patterson, noted Indian trader, opened his trading station on the opposite bank of the Susquehanna River in 1725. He used the site of this borough as a public pasture for his horses. The village of Safe Harbor, on the opposite side of the river, is where the Governor, Sir William Keith, in 1722, held the important conference with the Conestoga and other tribes of Indians before he made the first survey on the York County side of the river, for the heirs of William Penn.
It was here that Captain Thomas Cresap, who led the Marylanders to drive the German settlers from these lands, built a log house, near the mouth of Cabin Creek, and here he was captured by the Provincial authorities and taken to jail at Philadelphia.
John A. Jacobs laid out the town in 1849 for the Evangelical Association. Captain Dritt, soon after the Revolution, built a stone house near the present borough. He became a brigadier general of State militia, and was drowned trying to cross the river when it was full of floating ice. The borough was threatened with destruction July 4, 1900, when a disastrous fire was difficult to get under control.
Population in 1940 was 419.
Nearby Towns: Chanceford Twp • Columbia Boro • Hallam Boro • Marietta Boro • Mountville Boro • Red Lion Boro • Windsor Boro • Windsor Twp • Wrightsville Boro • Yorkana Boro •