West Manchester Township administrative offices are located at 380 East Berlin Road, York, PA 17408.
The earliest inhabitants of the Township include tribes of the Susquehannocks and Lenni‑Lenapes. In the 1920's, a large quantity of arrowheads and tools were found along the Little Conewago Creek at Barley and Trolley Roads, indicating the presence of the Native Americans.
One of the Township's well known entertainment sites in the York Expo Center. In 1887, the York County Agricultural Society purchased 73 acres of West Manchester Township from Samuel Smyers, which created the current site of the York Interstate Fair.
Several early roads were used by invading Confederates when they entered the Township just prior to the Battle of Gettysburg. On June 28, 1863, General, Jubal Early and General John B. Gordon brought several thousand troops to the area. On July 1, of that year, General J.E.B. Stewart passed through the area with 5000 troops, 400 prisoners, and 125 captured wagons. The confederates imposed themselves on several local residences, one of which was the Ken Mar House on Taxville Road. Jacob Eisenhart, owner of the house at the time, cared for sick soldiers, using his office as a hospital. Today, the house is fronted by wooden carving of a soldier and his dog.
Earl V. Shaffer (1918-2002), who grew up in Shiloh is believed to be the first person to hike the entire Appalachian Trail in 1948. This hike raised great public awareness of the trail. Earl later hiked the trail again in 1965 as well as in 1998 at the age of 79.
Nearby Towns: Dover Boro • Dover Twp • Jacobus Boro • Manchester Twp • New Salem Boro • North York Boro • Spring Garden Twp • Spring Grove Boro • West York Boro • York City •