Photo: Haller-Gibboney Rock House, ca. 1823, 205 Tazewell Street, Wytheville, VA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Photographed by user:Jerrye and Roy Klotz, MD, 2012, (own work) [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed May, 2017.
Wythe County administrative offices are located at 340 South 6th Street, Wytheville, VA 24382; phone: 276‑223‑4500.
The county was named in honor of George Wythe, a prominent leader in Virginia history. In addition to being the first teacher of law at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, he was also a signatory of the Declaration of Independence and the designer of the State Seal of Virginia. In 1790, the town of Evansham, located at a section of the Great Wagon Road linking Tennessee and the old Southwest with Philadelphia, was designated the County Seat.