Photo: Joel S. Fisk House, ca. 1862, 123 North Oakland Avenue, Green Bay, WI. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Photographed by User:Jeff the quiet (own work), 2012, [cc0-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed January, 2014.
Green Bay City Hall is located at 100 North Jefferson Street, Green Bay, WI 54301.
Green Bay was incorporated in 1854 and that same year the county seat was moved from De Pere.
On November 18,1829 the village of Navarino was platted by Daniel Whitney. On November 4, 1835 the village of Astor was platted by Ramsey Crooks and Robert Stuart, agents of John Jacob Astor. The borough of Green Bay was born after a consolidation of Navarino and Astor which was approved by the governor on January 17, 1838.
In 1833 the first newspaper in Wisconsin was formed in Green Bay. It was the Green Bay Intelligencer located on Main Street. On August 13, 1846 Charles Robinson, also Green Bay mayor in 1866 and 1872, gave birth to the Green Bay Advocate. He was editor of the newspaper until 1861 when he enlisted in the military. In 1879 he once more returned to his duties on the Advocate and continued working until 1881.
Nearby Towns: Allouez Village • De Pere City •