The Hampshire County Courthouse is located on East Main Street, Romney WV 26757; phone: 304-822-5022.
Hampshire county, the oldest in West Virginia, was formed in 1754. It then included nearly all the valley of the South branch, and its limits westward were not defined. The present county of Mineral and a portion of Morgan were then in Hampshire. In 1785 Hardy county, including the present territory of Grant and part of Pendleton, was taken from Hampshire. In 1820 Morgan county was created, taking part of its territory; and in 1866 Mineral was, formed from Hampshire. Thus the old county was reduced to its present limits. In 1784 its area was two thousand eight hundred square miles, with about fourteen thousand population. Its area is now six hundred and thirty square miles with about thirteen thousand population.