Tuscaloosa County administrative offices are located at 714 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401; phone: 205‑349‑3870.
Tuscaloosa County was created in 1818. The first record of Tuscaloosa is on DeLisle's map of 1707, spelled Taskaloussas. The first settlers came in 1816 and settled on the site of the town of Tuscaloosa. These early settlers were largely Scotch-Irish with a sprinkling of English, coming from North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and Georgia. Among the first settlers were Thomas, Jonathan and Emanuel York, John Barton, a blacksmith, William Wilson, Patrick Scott, Josiah Tilley. Pleasant H. Dearing and John G. King. In 1817 the population increased largely, all of who settled at Tuscaloosa and vicinity.